How We Protect the Public
PEO's mandate, as described in the Professional Engineers Act, is to ensure that the public is protected and that individuals and companies providing engineering services uphold a strict code of professional ethics and conduct.
PEO protects and serves the public by:
- ensuring all licensed professional engineers are qualified – and by licensing all who qualify;
- disciplining professional engineers found guilty of professional misconduct;
- taking action against unlicensed individuals who illegally describe themselves as engineers. Similarly, the association can prosecute companies or entities who illegally provide engineering services to the public;
- investigating all complaints brought to it about unlicensed, unprofessional, inadequate, or incompetent engineering services;
- conducting disputes resolution and hearings;
- preparing performance guidelines as benchmarks for quality of service in the engineering profession; and
- preparing performance standards in regulation.
If you have concerns about either the work of an engineer, or suspect that a person or a company is practicing engineering and may not be licensed, you can contact PEO's Enforcement hotline at: 416-224-9528 ext.1444 or 1-800-339-3716 ext. 1444 or email@example.com.