PEO’s licensing requirements include an educational component. To obtain your professional engineer licence, you must have a bachelor's degree in engineering from a Canadian university program accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB), a working Board of the Engineers Canada (EC), or equivalent academic qualifications. If your bachelor's degree in engineering was obtained from a non-CEAB-accredited program, your qualifications will be assessed against the Canadian Engineering Qualification Board (CEQB) criteria in your engineering discipline.
If you do not have an undergraduate degree in engineering from a program accredited by the CEAB, your academic background will be assessed by PEO to determine whether it is equivalent to the established standards. PEO will assign technical exams to give you an opportunity to confirm (Confirmatory Examination Program) that your academic preparation is equivalent or to remedy any identified deficiencies (Specific Examination Program).
If you have been assigned a Confirmatory Examination Program and have more than five years of engineering experience, PEO may grant you an interview with its Experience Requirements Committee (ERC) to determine if your experience provides any basis to warrant exam relief.
The minimum educational level stipulated by the Professional Engineers Act is:
- a three-year diploma in technology from a College of Applied Arts and Technology; or
- a bachelor's degree in a relevant science area; or
- academic qualifications deemed by the Council to be equivalent to a diploma or degree.
If your overall academic preparation is assessed by PEO to meet the minimum level stipulated by legislation (this includes graduates of a technology or science program), you will be assigned a Specific Examination Program. But if you have more than 10 years of overall engineering experience, you will be invited to attend an interview with PEO’s ERC to determine if your experience provides any basis to warrant exam relief.
For more information on PEO’s academic requirements for licensure, please contact PEO at (416) 224-1100, 1-800-339-3716 (for those in Canada outside the 416 area code) or Academics@peo.on.ca.
- PEO’s Licensing Guide and Application for Licence
- Your Rights and Obligations as an Applicant
- Application checklist for graduates of Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB)-accredited programs
- Application checklist for applicants who do not hold an undergraduate degree from a Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB)-accredited program