The Engineering Intern (EIT) Program
The EIT program provides guidance and assistance to engineering graduates as they acquire the 48 months of acceptable engineering work experience, including annual reviews of experience to ensure that an applicant is “on the right track” for licensing.
Benefits of the EIT program include:
- the opportunity to receive detailed, confidential, annual work experience reviews;
- eligibility to participate in PEO’s Licensure Assistance Program;
- access to Engineering Dimensions, the association’s official journal;
- opportunities to attend EIT seminars at PEO’s office or through sponsoring chapters;
- the opportunity to join a PEO chapter, attend meetings and network with professional colleagues;
- email notices of events or items of interest pertaining to your development into a licensed engineer;
- access to the Licence Holders’ Only section of PEO’s website and the opportunity to participate in online discussions with other PEO members through the Discussion Forum; and
- the opportunity to join the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers and participate in their member-only services, such as insurance and investment plans, and online Career Centre.
As well, becoming an EIT demonstrates to employers that an applicant is serious about being licensed as a professional engineer.
How to enroll
To enroll in the EIT program, you must be an applicant for licensure – meaning you have met the academic requirements of licensure (e.g. graduated from a CEAB-accredited program). You can apply for licensure and enroll in the program as soon as you graduate by filling out the Application for Licence (pages 11-14) and checking the appropriate box in Section 1 of the form.
If you apply within the first six months of graduation through the Financial Credit Program, PEO will waive the licence application fee. PEO will also waive the annual EIT registration fee for the first year, saving you approximately $400.
Who is eligible?
Applicants who hold an undergraduate degree from a CEAB accredited program are eligible to register in PEO' Engineering Intern (EIT) Program and may do so by check the appropriate box in Section 1 of the application form. If you have already applied for licensure and would now like to enroll in the EIT program, please send a written request to your admissions representative or to email@example.com.
An applicant who graduated from a non-CEAB school is eligible to enroll in the EIT program when they are either assigned a Confirmatory Examination Program (CEP) or have completed their Specific Examination Program (SEP).
The annual fee for the EIT program is $75 + HST (total $84.75) and is in addition to the application fee. Do not include the EIT fee with this application; applicants who register for the EIT program will be invoiced separately.
Please note that the EIT program does not place people in work situations, however, participants have the opportunity to attend chapter events where they can meet, socialize and network with professional engineers.
- Licensing Guide and Application for Licence: How to apply for a Professional Engineer Licence in Ontario
- Guide to the Required Experience for Licensing
- Engineering Experience Record Guide and Form (Word)
- Engineering Intern Experience Checklist
- Pregraduation Experience Record Guide
- Pregraduation Experience Record Form (Word)