Practice Advice Resources and Guidelines
- Practice Guidelines
- Practice Bulletins
- Performance Standards
- Practice Articles
- Contact PEO Staff for Practice Advice
- Practice Advice Presentations
- Most Common Practice Advice Topics
PEO offers a variety of practice advice resources to assist licence holders in providing professional and ethical engineering services.
PEO’s practice advisory team is also available to help licence holders with issues related to professional practice and to verify their responsibilities under the Professional Engineers Act (PEA).
Providing practice advice resources fulfils PEO’s regulatory obligations under the PEA to establish, maintain and develop standards of practice.
Practice guidelines provide advice and recommendations on engineering best practices, specifically around performing engineering work in accordance with the PEA. Practice guidelines define the roles and responsibilities of practitioners, and advice on the expectations of licence holders practising in a particular area.
Practice bulletins provide professional advice on urgent issues, as well as guidance on what is expected of PEO licence holders. Bulletins are also used to provide interpretations or to supplement or update existing guidelines.
Performance standards provide benchmarks to help practitioners determine the expected level of service. While practitioners are expected to use professional judgement in performing their work, the standards describe only the required outcome of a practitioner’s activities, leaving the methods to the discretion of the engineer.
Practice articles appear in Engineering Dimensions magazine, PEO’s official publication. These articles provide licence holders with general information on current practice issues.
PEO’s practice advisory team welcomes questions from licence holders on professional practice issues and their responsibilities under the PEA.
If you have a practice question that is not addressed by PEO’s guidelines, bulletins or standards please contact our practice advisory team*:
Phone: 800-339-3716 (press 0 for reception and ask to speak with someone about a practice issue)
PEO’s practice advisory team is also available to visit organizations and deliver presentations on practice issues. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use of the Professional Engineer’s Seal
- Guidance on the proper use of the professional engineer’s seal can be found in the PEO practice guideline Use of the Professional Engineer’s Seal.
Code of Ethics, including the duty to report and conflict-of-interest provisions
- Best practices for licence holders dealing with ethical issues can be found in the PEO’s Guideline for Professional Engineering Practice.
Reviewing the work of another licensee
- Guidance on the professionally acceptable manner in which to review the work of another licence holder is available in the PEO guideline Professional Engineers Reviewing Work Prepared by Another Professional Engineer.
* PEO’s practice advisory team cannot assist with the following:
- technical questions;
- employment issues;
- contractual or payment problems;
- practitioner recommendations; and
- offering comment on an engineering opinion.
PEO’s practice advisory team cannot provide legal advice and the guidance provided by staff does not constitute such advice. Licence holders are encouraged to consult with a legal advisor on specific, factual situations. Practice advice offered by PEO is provided on a general basis and does not apply to all case-specific situations nor does it replace professional judgment. Licence holder are responsible their own actions and remain accountable for their decisions.