September 2013: The Ontario Society of Professional Engineers (OSPE) presents a report on continuing professional development (CPD) to PEO Council which recommended that PEO adopt a modified version of the program used by the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA). PEO Council unanimously supported, in principle, the creation of a continuing professional development program for licence holders.
March 2014: Council creates the Continuing Professional Development, Competence and Quality Assurance (CPDCQA) Task Force and called for it “to prepare a plan for a comprehensive program of continuing professional development and quality assurance.”
October 2014: Honourable Paul R. Bélanger, Commissioner of the Elliot Lake Commission of Inquiry releases his report on the collapse of the Algo Mall in Elliott Lake which recommended PEO establish a system of mandatory continuing professional education.
November 2015: The CPDCQA Task Force presents its Final Report on a proposed CPD program to Council and is subsequently stood down.
February 2016: Council creates the Continuing Professional Competence Program (CP)2 Task Force to establish criteria and details for elements needed to operationalize the CPD program proposed by the CPDCQA Task Force.
March-August 2016: The (CP)2 Task Force works with PEO staff to create a beta practice evaluation questionnaire within the PEO Portal; the first element of the proposed CPD program.
June-September 2016: Beta questionnaire demonstrated to Council and tested with focus groups.
October 2016: Beta practice evaluation questionnaire dispatched to members to test.
November 2016: The (CP)2 Task Force presents to PEO Council its report with recommendations to implement the newly-named Practice Evaluation and Knowledge (PEAK) program. Council passes the PEAK program at its November 18, 2016 meeting.
March 2017: The PEAK program launches on March 31, 2017.
- Backgrounder - Continuing Professional Development, CPDCQA Task Force
- Final Report - Continuing Professional Development, CPDCQA Task Force
- Report of the Elliot Lake Commission of Inquiry by the Honourable Paul R. Bélanger, Commissioner of the Elliot Lake Inquiry
- Continuing Professional Development report by the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers
- Continuing Professional Competence Program (CP)2 Task Force (task force #2)
- Continuing Professional Development, Competence and Quality Assurance (CPDCQA) Task Force (task force #1) (stood down November 20, 2015)
- PEO and the Elliot Lake Inquiry
- 2015 Town Hall Meetings: Implementing the Elliot Lake Recommendations
Engineering Dimensions articles
- President's Message: Risk, accountability, and public trust – July/Aug 2016
- CPD task force looking to implementation options – May/June 2016
- CPD plans move to detail design phase – Mar/Apr 2016
- Members to have final say on CPD program – Mar/Apr 2016
- Implementing Elliot Lake recommendations could bring big changes, town hall audiences told – Jan/Feb 2016
- PEO takes leading role in responding to Elliot Lake Inquiry recommendations – Jan/Feb 2016
- Lively discussion a feature of PEO regional town hall meetings; Members to have final say on PEO CPD program; Conference presenters predict continuing professional development for all self-regulated professions – Nov/Dec 2015
- Risk-based approach, flexibility central principles of CPD program development – Sept/Oct 2015
- President's Message: Leadership matters – Sept/Oct 2015
- President's Message: Bringing strategic goals into focus – July/Aug 2015
- After the fall: Learning the lessons of Elliot Lake – Jan/Feb 2015
- Elliot Lake Commission releases report, adopts many PEO recommendations; PEO confirms members of CPD task force – Nov/Dec 2014
- Continuing professional development on PEO horizon – May/June 2014
- PEO recommendations could find their way into Elliot Lake report – Mar/Apr 2014