To qualify for a limited licence, an applicant:
- must hold a three-year degree or diploma in an engineering, technology or science program or have equivalent educational qualifications, with knowledge that corresponds to the scope of services within the practice of professional engineering to be provided under the limited licence. You will need to arrange for your academic transcript to be sent directly from the respective university/institution ;
- must pass the Professional Practice Examination;
- must demonstrate that they are of good character;
- must pay the applicable fees;
- must demonstrate at least eight years of experience in the practice of professional engineering
with at least six years of the experience corresponding to the scope of services within the practice of professional engineering to be provided under the limited licence, and
at least four of those six years’ experience acquired in a Canadian jurisdiction under the supervision of one or more people legally authorized to engage in the practice of professional engineering in a Canadian jurisdiction.
When submitting your application, please include:
- A completed limited licence application
- A copy of your proof of identity. Please use of the following official documents: Canadian birth certificate, Canadian citizen card/certificate (both sides), permanent resident card (both sides) or From IMM 1000 of record of landing
- ·A copy of your up-to-date experience record ( Refer to our Guide to the Required Experience for a Limited Licence in Ontario)
- Payment of application fee: ·$360 + HST = $406.80 (in Canadian dollars, cheque or money order, made payable to Professional Engineers Ontario).
Note: Faxed or scanned applications are not acceptable because we require an original handwritten signature
The application package should be submitted by mail or in-person to:
Professional Engineers Ontario
40 Sheppard Avenue West
Toronto, ON M2N 6K9
Download the Limited Licence application here.
Have questions regarding a limited licence? Contact us at email@example.com.
What to expect (timelines)
|Limited Licence||Estimated time||Process|
|8 months +||Application Review and Assessment|
- Submission of Application with Payment
- Academic Requirements Committee Review
- Character References
- Experience Requirements Interview ( Allow sufficient time for scheduling the interview )
- Professional Practice Exam ( Offered: 3/yr )
- Final Approval
|Note: Allow +/- 8 weeks for mailing of Stamp/Certificate after final approval and fees paid|