Lui Tai, P. Eng., AIFireE, BCIN
A key leader of the York Chapter, Lui Tai has been a tireless contributor to the ongoing success of his chapter and an engineering ambassador to the local community.
Lui has been a chapter volunteer since 2013. During his two-year term as chapter chair, he led his team to organize over 120 events for members. One of the biggest events was the Engineering Technology Symposium, which was attended by world leading companies like Microsoft, Magna, Honeywell and GM, as well as local politicians.
Other notable accomplishments during his time on the York Chapter executive include:
- Creating a Past Chair Advisory Committee for the chapter to support, guide and mentor incoming chapter executives;
- Organizing the inaugural East Central Region Past Chair workshop in 2020, with past chairs from all 6 chapters in the East Central Region as guest speakers to mentor new board members on topics such as regulation and chapter success stories;
- Lit the passion for volunteering at PEO York Chapter, so much so that there were 33 candidates running for 13 executive positions in 2019.
- Encouraging collaboration between PEO chapters by giving presentation at Scarborough, Simcoe Muskoka and East Toronto Chapter; and
- Serving as a two-time speaker at the CPAC Leadership Conference in October 2020 and February 2021 on leadership traits and qualities.
- Represented PEO by giving presentations, including keynotes, at OACETT, IFE, SFPE and CFAA.
These accomplishments illustrate his passion and success in mentoring young engineers and helping them develop into leaders.
Lui has also been an active volunteer and leader within the fire protection engineering sector. He currently holds the following positions:
- President, Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE – Canada)
- President, Canadian Fire Alarm Association (CFAA Ontario Chapter)
- Chairperson, Standards Council of Canada (SCC) Mirror Committee ISO/TC 21/SC 11 (SCC)
- Vice-Chair, CFAA Governance Committee