Certificate of Authorization

In Ontario, professional engineers or firms who provide engineering services directly to the public must have a Certificate of Authorization (C of A).

PEO issues Certificates of Authorization to allow individuals and business entities to offer and provide professional engineering services to the public, as distinct from a licence issued to individuals to practise professional engineering.

Individuals and firms holding a C of A from PEO must adhere to the professional liability insurance regulations required by the Professional Engineers Act.

Submission requirements

Certificate of Authorization (C of A) applicants must designate a PEO licence holder who is an employee or partner in the firm to assume professional responsibility for the services provided. Generally, C of A holders are required to carry professional liability insurance as laid out in the regulations under the Professional Engineers Act. In the absence of insurance, they are required to disclose to each and every client that they do not hold liability insurance, and obtain the client's written acknowledgement of this disclosure. 

PEO has put in place an alternate process of receiving and approving new certificate of authorization (CofA) applications while the PEO office is closed due to COVID-19 restrictions.  Please read the instructions below carefully and email the required documents to cofa.new@peo.on.ca

Here are the application requirements:

  • Download and complete the CofA application form and compile required documents and email to cofa.new@peo.on.ca. (Please note that the signatory has to be one of the engineers listed in Section F of the application.) The required documents include:
    • Resume(s) of the engineer(s) listed in Section F
    • Certificate of Incorporation or Proof of Business Registration if the entity is a corporation/partnership/partnership of corporations
    • Master Business Licence if the entity has a different operating/business name
    • Certificate of Professional Liability Insurance showing the business entity as the name insured (if applicable)
  • Payment for the $904 CofA application fee payable by credit card.  PEO will let you know when to pay this fee after processing your application.
  • Completed application form to be sent by postal mail or dropped off at our office after we have reopened. (Please check the PEO website (peo.on.ca) for office status updates.) 


For Section G of the form, please check the first box if you are offering architecture services or if you intend to apply to the Ontario Association of Architects for a Certificate of Practice.  Checking this box means you will be issued a General CofA.

If you are incorporating/registering a business name in Ontario and the corporation name/business name will have the word "engineering" or "engineers" in it, you have to ask for a Letter of Consent from PEO first.  Send an email to enforcement@peo.on.ca with the prospective name, the engineering services to be provided, the type of business entity (sole proprietorship/ partnership/corporation) and your PEO licence number.  You can file your incorporation/business registration papers once you have the letter of consent, and submit your CofA application when you have your certificate of incorporation/Master Business Licence.

Please note that a certificate of authorization is not transferable.  If you apply for a Sole Proprietorship CofA and it is approved, then later decide to incorporate, you must apply for a new CofA for the newly incorporated entity. Likewise, if the corporation undergoes amalgamation, you would need a new CofA for the newly amalgamated entity.

Download the Certificate of Authorization application (Please note: this form is fillable electronically)

Have questions regarding a new Certificate of Authorization? Contact us at cofa.new@peo.on.ca

Have questions regarding a renewal of a Certificate of Authorization? Contact us at cofa.renewal@peo.on.ca


PEO processing timelines

Initial Certificate of Authorization

Estimated time Process
3 weeks Application Review and Assessment

Basic Steps:

- Submission of Application with Payment

- Final Approval



1- Allow 2 weeks for mailing of Certificate after final approval.                                        

2- Previous applications that are being reinstated or applying again due to the creation of a new company or amalgamation of companies, will not need to re-submit any documents that have not changed since the previous application  

3- When a certificate is revised, the applicant is to return the old certificate to PEO once they have received the new certificate.   



Frequently Asked Questions 

The initial application fee for a Certificate of Authorization is $904 (application $452 + annual fee $452, inclusive of taxes). Upon approval the Certificate of Authorization is renewable annually for $452.

If you have any questions about C of A requirements or would like an application form, please contact us.

There is no legal requirement stipulating how long documents must be retained. The documents belong to the person who created them and that person is at liberty to do with them as s/he sees fit. The most pressing reason for keeping documents is the possibility of future legal action. At present there is essentially no period of limitation so it is possible that someone can bring legal action against an engineer many years after a project is completed. Since document retention is really a matter of legal protection, you should discuss the matter with your insurance provider.

The Professional Engineers Act makes no distinction between providing professional engineering services for a fee or on a volunteer basis. The individual or volunteer organization providing professional engineering services will need a Certificate of Authorization. You should also remember that providing services as a volunteer does not make one immune to liability. Since either the client or a third party affected by the work can bring a lawsuit against the engineer or the volunteer organization, volunteers are urged to investigate their need for professional liability insurance.

This depends on whether you plan to work as an independent contractor or as a contract employee. Both arrangements have benefits for you and your employer but there are significant differences in taxation, compensation and professional responsibility. You should discuss with your former employer which arrangement to use prior to coming to an agreement on how you will provide services. PEO has published guidelines on both. Since an independent contractor is a sole proprietorship you will require a Certificate of Authorization if you decide to make this arrangement. PEO reminds professional engineers registered as retired and are paying reduced fees that they are not entitled to practice professional engineering either for payment or as a volunteer.

The Certificate of Authorization will be suspended for a period of 90 days at which time if no suitable P.Eng. has been found by the firm to replace you, the Certificate will be revoked.

Notify PEO in writing immediately about your change of employment status.

PEO has an active enforcement policy that investigates and prosecutes all reported violations of the Professional Engineers Act. If your competition is providing engineering services to the public but does not have a Certificate of Authorization then that entity is in violation of the Act. Notify PEO's Enforcement department if you encounter this situation.

The Professional Engineers Act stipulates that an entity requires a Certificate of Authorization if it is providing engineering services to the public. These services may not necessarily involve the production of drawings. Professional engineers may provide advice about technology, review construction, perform health and safety audits, give opinions about mineral properties, or provide expert testimony. Though none of these activities involve the preparation of drawings, each is an act of providing engineering services and, therefore, the entity requires a Certificate of Authorization. However, if you provide engineering services you should ask yourself this question: why are you not sealing documents that you provide to a client or other external body? Section 53 of the Professional Engineers Act governs the requirement for sealing of documents. You are required to seal all drawings and other documents provided as part of engineering services done for an external entity, regardless of whether or not there is other legislation (such as the Building Code Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, or Regulation for Industrial Facilities) that specifically requires a engineer's seal. In order words, any document of an engineering nature prepared for a client or as part of the work done for a client (this includes drawings for custom equipment) must be sealed.

"Public" does not mean public institutions or society in general; it means an entity (business, individual, government, charity) that is at an "arm's-length" relationship to the engineer and could rightly be called a client. If an employer utilizes engineers to provide engineering services within the employer's domain only, then the employer does not need a Certificate of Authorization. If however, the employer (government, manufacturer, consulting firm or engineer working as a sole proprietor) provides engineering services outside the employer's domain (i.e. to the public) then the employer requires a C of A.

Section 12 (2) of the Professional Engineers Act stipulates that every entity (sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation) that offers or provides professional engineering services to the public requires a Certificate of Authorization. While the licence entitles an individual to practice as a professional engineer, the Certificate is required to provide PEO with a means for governing the activities of entities. A sole proprietorship is a business entity and is distinct from the individual practitioner.

Any entity (sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation) that offers or provides professional engineering services to the public must have a Certificate of Authorization. This requirement is stipulated in Section 12(2) of the Professional Engineers Act.

PEO does not have any arrangement with insurance companies for these products. Visit Group Benefits for information about affinity programs offered through Engineers Canada and the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers.

The Professional Engineers Act requires a Certificate of Authorization (C of A) holder to either have professional liability insurance or agree to compulsory disclosure. This is an undertaking to provide each client with a letter stating that the holder does not have insurance. The Act does provide an exemption for engineering businesses that provide engineering services that may involve pollution, nuclear, aviation or shipping hazards. However these firms must have insurance or provide compulsory disclosure for services provided in other than these named areas of practice. Normally employee engineers working for Certificate of Authorization holders that have professional liability insurance are covered by the employer's policy. Engineers working for these firms, especially if they are named on the C of A as taking responsibility for the engineering activities, should review their exposure to liability with the firm’s insurer. If you work for a Certificate of Authorization holding firm that does not have professional liability coverage you should investigate how a lawsuit against the firm might affect you. Other employee engineers should check with their employer's insurance company to see if they are covered for professional negligence or errors and omissions.

If you operate without a C of A, you are contravening the Professional Engineers Act. Such contravention may result in PEO enforcing the provisions of Section 40 of the Act against you, which can lead to fines of up to $25,000 for a first offence and up to $50,000 for any subsequent offence. In addition, a complaint may be pursued through the association's discipline process against licensed members who operate without a C of A (see Section 72(g) of Regulation 941). PEO has guidelines and publications dealing with areas of interest to C of A holders.

Section 47(1) of the Regulation 941 made under the Professional Engineers Act requires that an applicant for a C of A designate a PEO licence holder who is an employee or partner in the firm to assume professional responsibility for the services provided. Generally, C of A holders are required to carry professional liability insurance as laid out in the regulations under the Professional Engineers Act. In the absence of insurance, they are required to disclose to each and every client that they do not hold liability insurance, and obtain the client's written acknowledgement of this disclosure.

An examination of your practice will help you determine whether you are offering or providing engineering services to the public. The public is usually legally defined as any person or entity with whom you have an arm's length relationship. For example:

  • If you "hang out your shingle"; advertise and promote yourself - either personally or through a legal entity such as a company or partnership - as offering professional engineering services, a C of A is required.
  • If you provide professional engineering services to the public through the sale of a product that is custom-designed or an original (as opposed to an off-the-shelf product), a C of A is required.
  • If you work for others, but offer professional engineering services directly to the public on a part-time, moonlighting, or volunteer basis, you must hold a C of A. Under these circumstances, you should also, as a matter of professional courtesy, inform your employer that you are undertaking such work, in order to avoid potential conflicts of interest. In addition, you should provide your client with a written statement of the nature of your status as an employee and the attendant limitations on your services to the client.

In short, if you are practising professional engineering and engaging in the business of offering or providing those services to anyone but yourself or your employer, you require a C of A. In recent years, firms have increasingly secured engineering staff through a contract of service. But you may still be an employee for the purposes of licensure and thus not require a C of A if:

  • you work exclusively for a particular firm;
  • your employment contract addresses non-disclosure, ability to control work hours and time off, expectations related to performance, notice, termination and remuneration;
  • your expenses are reimbursed
  • you are paid a salary or wage;
  • you are provided an office and equipment on business premises;
  • have set work hours;
  • you are provided benefits, e.g. vacation pay;
  • your work is covered under the firm's professional liability insurance policy.

However, if the firm requiring your engineering expertise offers a contract for service, a Certificate of Authorization will likely be required. You are likely working under a contract for service and would thus require a C of A if:

  • your contract indicates an independent contract or relationship, or the firm purchases your time from an agency;
  • you are free to provide your business services to more than one firm;
  • you invoice the business for your time;
  • you are not paid if services are not performed;
  • you are not covered by the firm's professional liability insurance;
  • your hours of work are not restricted;
  • you receive no vacation pay or bonuses.

The practice of professional engineering is defined in section 1 of the Professional Engineers Act and comprises three tests. Professional engineering is:

  1. any act of designing, composing, evaluating, advising, reporting, directing or supervising, or the managing of any of these acts;
  2. wherein the safeguarding of life, health, property, economic interests, the public welfare or the environment is concerned, and
  3. that requires the application of engineering principles.

If what you do meets all three tests, you are practising professional engineering and must be licensed by the association.